I wait for the Lord, my whole being waits, and in his word, I put my hope. Psalm 130:5
Beulah Land: The Good Shepherd
- Memory Verse: God! My shepherd…your beauty and love chase after me every day of my life. I’m home in the house of God for the rest of my life.- Psalm 23: 1 & 6, The Message
- Summary: We are continuing to build anticipation for the arrival of the Christ Child! Last week, we talked about a King who is coming. This week’s lesson is called The Good Shepherd. It is taken from Psalm 51, 2 Samuel 7, and Psalm 23. The story ends with this, “Another Shepherd was coming—a greater Shepherd. He would be called the Good Shepherd…and lead all God’s lambs back to the place where they had always belonged.”
- I Wonder… : what a Good Shepherd is like? how Jesus is your shepherd?
- At home: It might be interesting to look up some pictures of sheep and shepherds online. Talk about what a shepherd’s job is. Talk about what sheep are like. Sing I am Jesus’ Little Lamb, our baptism song, together. Pray to God as your Shepherd who guides and protects you. Wonder how the shepherd is also the lamb. That is a wonderful mystery!
Godly Play I & II: Advent Prophets
- Memory Verse: And Mary said, “My soul magnifies the Lord, and my spirit rejoices in God my Savior.”- Luke 1:46-47
- Summary: We are continuing to prepare for the Mystery of Christmas through Advent stories. Last week, the lesson focused on the prophets. This week’s lesson draws attention to Mary and Joseph on their journey to Bethlehem. The goal behind taking time to concentrate on each present party is that the kids can marvel over the beauty of the Incarnation. We want them to consider every angle possible and wonder over it!
- I Wonder…: if you have ever been full of something wonderful? what Mary and Joseph talked about as they walked to Bethlehem? what they thoughts about and felt?
- Additional Follow-up: This might be a good time to read passages with your child from the Gospel about Jesus’s parents (the annunciation, Mary visiting Elizabeth, Joseph stopped from divorcing Mary). I think it could be interesting to show some famous artwork of these encounters to your child and see what your child notices from them! I pinned some to the Advent Resource board HERE. Rain for Roots has a beautiful set of songs to sing along with… this week might be a good one for Mary Consoles Eve and the Magnificat. Behold the Lamb has one about Joseph that is wonderful.