Beulah Land: Parable of the Mustard and Yeast
- Memory Verse: Thought it is the smallest of all your seeds, it grows to become to largest of garden plants and becomes a tree, so that the birds of the air come and perch in its branches. Matthew 13:32
- Summary: Today our Lenten journey brings us to the Parable of the Mustard Seed and Leaven. Things that are so tiny become huge as they grow tall in the ground and work their way through flat dough. This set of lessons uses the phrase repeatedly, “Jesus said, ‘Listen and believe; hear the story, and let it change you.’” The parables are not just about mustard seed and yeast. They are doing something as we listen… then and now!
- I Wonder… : how the people knew the stories were about more than mustard seed and a bowl of dough? what else they thought the story was about? if this story reminds you of any other stories? what it means to hear the story and let it change you?
- Follow up Ideas: Make some bread together! Watch it rise. And don’t forget about this song from Rain for Roots!
Godly Play I & II: Faces of Easter IV
- Memory Verse: Seek first the kingdom of God and his righteousness, and all these things will be given to you as well. Matthew 6:33
- Summary: We are now four Sundays into Lent, the season in which we prepare for Easter. We are using a set of stories that walk through the life of Christ. Today we will focus on Jesus’ Desert Experience. You can find this account in Luke 4 and Matthew 4.
- I Wonder…: why the tempter wanted Jesus to disobey and not trust God? what else men live on besides food? what it means to test God? what sort of King Jesus would be? Jesus’ work was? if you ever feel tempted?
- Additional Followup: Draw a picture of the story. Maybe you can read the account from Scripture at home and as you are reading, have your child draw a scene.