Beulah Land: The Apostles’ Ministry
- Memory Verse: They devoted themselves to the apostles’ teaching and to fellowship, to the breaking of bread and to prayer. Acts 2:42
- Summary: After Jesus’ ascension, Holy Spirit came as a helper for Christians. The Apostles spread the message of Christ in remarkable ways. Two of the ways we will hear about today is through the healing of a paralytic man and an encounter with an Ethiopian eunuch. This is an exciting set of stories as it tells the beginnings of the Church.
- I Wonder… : what it would be like to have Jesus’ power to heal people? what happened to the Ethiopian man when he went home to Africa? how someone can know and love Jesus if they never met him in person? if this is still the story of Jesus?
- Follow up Ideas: Memorize the names of the disciples!
Godly Play I & II: Pentecost
- Memory Verse: All of them were filled with the Holy Spirit and began to speak in other tongues as the Spirit enabled them. Acts 2:4
- Summary: Today’s story comes from Acts 2. The Godly Play Curriculum sets up this story by first reminding hearers about the Tower of Babel, where prideful people lost their ability to communicate freely with each other. The story picks back up with Jesus’ ascension, and promise to send a Helper. At Pentecost, Jesus fulfilled His promise by sending the Holy Spirit. The Holy Spirit arrived with gusto, miraculously enabling Christians to speak in other languages in order to spread the Gospel!
- I Wonder…: what your favorite part of the story is? what the most important part could be? why Jesus called the Holy Spirit our helper? if there are other names for the Holy Spirit? if you have ever come close to something like this?
- Additional Followup: Pentecost is widely celebrated across the world as the birthday of the Church. Although Pentecost Sunday is technically not for a few more weeks, we are celebrating it this week with our story and a fun, guided activity during work time! At home, consider reading again through Acts 2 and from Joel 2. What connections do you see? Host your own birthday celebration on May 15th (actual Pentecost Sunday). There are a few ideas on the pinterest page.