Beulah Land: The Loaves and Fish
You open your hand and satisfy the desires of every living thing. Psalm 145:16
- Summary: Today’s story puts us back into the throes of Jesus’ ministry with the account of Jesus feeding thousands with five loaves of bread and two fish. This is a story about provision, miracle, and enough…with leftovers. It is at the heart of the Good News… enough with leftovers. You can find it in all four Gospel accounts.
- I Wonder… : what it was like to be in the crowd who followed Jesus? why the boy offered his bread and fish to Jesus? what all those people thought when they were told there was only one basket of food? what is the best part of this story? how this story changes us?
- Follow up Ideas: This is bit of a stretch, but maybe you could talk about how Jesus has given us enough (and more than enough!). How does he provide for you? How can we give to others in gratitude for what He has given us?
Godly Play I & II: Faces of Easter IV
Seek first the kingdom of God and his righteousness, and all these things will be given to you as well. Matthew 6:33
- Summary: We are now four Sundays into Lent, the season in which we prepare for Easter. We are using a set of stories that walk through the life of Christ. Today we will focus on Jesus’ Desert Experience. You can find this account in Luke 4 and Matthew 4.
- I Wonder…: why the tempter wanted Jesus to disobey and not trust God? what else men live on besides food? what it means to test God? what sort of king Jesus would be? what Jesus’ work was? if you ever feel tempted?
- Additional Followup: Draw a picture of the story. Maybe you can read the account from Scripture at home and as you are reading, have your child draw a scene.