Beulah Land: Summer Around the Campfire
Over the summer we are using the book, Long Story Short, to review some Old Testament stories. This book is designed for families with children of various ages to use as a devotional. On the first day of the week, it explores a passage, then builds on this passage through the rest of the week. We hope this makes an easy bridge from church to home as you continue to engage your children in a discussion about the Bible. We will also have a memory verse each week!
Summary: We continue this week with the story of Samson. On their third attempt, Delilah and the Philistines subdued Samson by cutting his hair. After they imprisoned him, however, his hair began to grow back. He was then able to kill the rulers of the Philistines with the help of God and we see that nothing was ever done in Samson’s own strength (or hair in and of itself), but only in the power of God’s. You can find this in Judges 16 and starting on p. 325 in Long Story Short.
I wonder…: what it is like to have strength like Samson? what you would use your strength for? why God gave Samson superhuman strength? how Samson changed after being captured by the Philistines?
Memory Verse: Love the Lord your God with all your heart and with all your soul and with all your strength. Deuteronomy 6:5
Godly Play I & II: Catechism I
Today we move into our summer rhythm of learning Catechism questions and answers! A few things to know about Catechism:
- Children will remain in the same Godly Play classes, but instead of having a Godly Play lesson each week, they will learn a set of questions and answers.
- Older kids will learn more Q&A sets than the younger kids.
- These classes are taught by our elders in order for them to have an additional opportunity to shepherd our RMC kids, as well as to give our RMC Kids Team a summer sabbatical. RMC Kids Volunteers will help with some doorkeeping roles.
- The children will bring home a worksheet to help with further study. Please feel free to review it along with the questions at home!
- To learn more about why we teach Catechism, look HERE.
Catechism Questions This Week
Godly Play I: Review 29-32
- 29: What is sin? Sin is any lack of conformity to, or transgression of, the law of God.
- 30: What is meant by lack of conformity? Not being or doing what God requires.
- 31: What is meant by transgression? Doing what God forbids.
- 32: What does every sin deserve? The wrath and curse of God.
Godly Play II:
- 120: What is the fourth petition? Give us this day our daily bread.
- 121: What does it mean to pray, “give us this day our daily bread”? We are asking God to provide us with all that we really need.