Beulah Land: Summer Around the Campfire
Over the summer we are using the book, Long Story Short, to review some Old Testament stories. This book is designed for families with children of various ages to use as a devotional. On the first day of the week, it explores a passage, then builds on this passage through the rest of the week. We hope this makes an easy bridge from church to home as you continue to engage your children in a discussion about the Bible. We will also have a memory verse each week!
Summary: This week’s story is God Calls Gideon. We will tell it around our class campfire! You can find this account in Judges 6 and starting on p. 305 in Long Story Short. Even if you simply re-read the story again during the week, that will help build a foundation of Scripture your child can return to throughout his/her life.
I wonder…: why the Israelites disobeyed God? why God called Gideon even though he was the “least”? why God wanted the Israelites to come back to Him?
Memory Verse: Be strong in the Lord and in His might power. Ephesians 6:10
Godly Play I & II: Catechism I
Today we move into our summer rhythm of learning Catechism questions and answers! A few things to know about Catechism:
- Children will remain in the same Godly Play classes, but instead of having a Godly Play lesson each week, they will learn a set of questions and answers.
- Older kids will learn more Q&A sets than the younger kids.
- These classes are taught by our elders in order for them to have an additional opportunity to shepherd our RMC kids, as well as to give our RMC Kids Team a summer sabbatical. RMC Kids Volunteers will help with some doorkeeping roles.
- The children will bring home a worksheet to help with further study. Please feel free to review it along with the questions at home!
- To learn more about why we teach Catechism, look HERE.
Catechism Questions This Week
Godly Play I:
- 29: What is sin? Sin is any lack of conformity to, or transgression of, the law of God.
- 30: What is meant by lack of conformity? Not being or doing what God requires.
- 31: What is meant by transgression? Doing what God forbids.
Godly Play II:
- 109: What is Prayer? Prayer is praising God, giving thanks for all his blessings and asking him for the things he has promised in the Bible.
- 110: In whose name should we pray? Only in the name of Christ.