Beulah Land: Summer Around the Campfire
Over the summer we are using the book, Long Story Short, to review some Old Testament stories. This book is designed for families with children of various ages to use as a devotional. On the first day of the week, it explores a passage, then builds on this passage through the rest of the week. We hope this makes an easy bridge from church to home as you continue to engage your children in a discussion about the Bible. We will also have a memory verse each week!
Summary: This week’s story is a continuation of the account of Gideon. The lesson is entitled “Gideon’s Victory” and we will tell it around our class campfire! You can find this in Judges 7 and starting on p. 312 in Long Story Short. Even if you simply re-read the story again during the week, that will help build a foundation of Scripture your child can return to throughout his/her life.
I wonder…: why God sent most of Gideon’s men home? how only 300 men defeated the Midianites (who had so many men you couldn’t count them all!)? how Israel won? if there is a time you have been afraid? how God fights for you?
Additional Idea: Show a visual to explain small v. large amounts. That will help more than imagining 300 v. countless. It doesn’t have to be exact, but make a small pile and a huge one. You could do it with laundry, toys or something fun like sprinkles or dry rice/noodles. Ask your child who they think would win. Why? Sing “My God is So Big” with them.
Memory Verse: Some trust in chariots, but we trust in the name of the Lord our God. Psalm 20:7
Godly Play I & II: Catechism I
Today we move into our summer rhythm of learning Catechism questions and answers! A few things to know about Catechism:
- Children will remain in the same Godly Play classes, but instead of having a Godly Play lesson each week, they will learn a set of questions and answers.
- Older kids will learn more Q&A sets than the younger kids.
- These classes are taught by our elders in order for them to have an additional opportunity to shepherd our RMC kids, as well as to give our RMC Kids Team a summer sabbatical. RMC Kids Volunteers will help with some doorkeeping roles.
- The children will bring home a worksheet to help with further study. Please feel free to review it along with the questions at home!
- To learn more about why we teach Catechism, look HERE.
Catechism Questions This Week
Godly Play I: Review of Last Week
- 29: What is sin? Sin is any lack of conformity to, or transgression of, the law of God.
- 30: What is meant by lack of conformity? Not being or doing what God requires.
- 31: What is meant by transgression? Doing what God forbids.
Godly Play II:
- 111: What did Christ give us to teach us about prayer? The Lord’s Prayer
- 112: What is the Lord’s Prayer? Our Father, who art in heaven, hallowed be your name. Your kingdom come, your will be done, on earth and it is in heaven. Give us this day our daily bread and forgive us our debts as we forgive our debtors. Lead us not into temptation, but deliver us from evil for your’s is the kingdom, and the power and the glory forever. Amen.
- 113: How many petitions are in the Lord’s Prayer? Six
- 114: What is the first petition? The first petition is “hallowed be your name”.
- 115: What does it mean to pray, “hallowed be your name”? We are asking God to help us and other respect and honor him.