Beulah Land: Summer Around the Campfire
Over the summer we are using the book, Long Story Short, to review some Old Testament stories. This book is designed for families with children of various ages to use as a devotional. On the first day of the week, it explores a passage, then builds on this passage through the rest of the week. We hope this makes an easy bridge from church to home as you continue to engage your children in a discussion about the Bible. We will also have a memory verse each week!
Summary: This week’s story keeps us in the book of Judges, where we will learn about Samson. You can find this in Judges 13-14 and starting on p. 319 in Long Story Short.
I wonder…: why God gave Manoah and his wife a child? why God had special rules for Samson and his mother to follow? why God made Samson strong?
Memory Verse: Your word is a lamp to my feet and light to my path. Psalm 119:105
Godly Play I & II: Catechism I
Today we move into our summer rhythm of learning Catechism questions and answers! A few things to know about Catechism:
- Children will remain in the same Godly Play classes, but instead of having a Godly Play lesson each week, they will learn a set of questions and answers.
- Older kids will learn more Q&A sets than the younger kids.
- These classes are taught by our elders in order for them to have an additional opportunity to shepherd our RMC kids, as well as to give our RMC Kids Team a summer sabbatical. RMC Kids Volunteers will help with some doorkeeping roles.
- The children will bring home a worksheet to help with further study. Please feel free to review it along with the questions at home!
- To learn more about why we teach Catechism, look HERE.
Catechism Questions This Week
Godly Play I:
- 32: What does every sin deserve? The wrath and curse of God.
Godly Play II:
- 116: What is the second petition? The second petition is “your kingdom come.”
- 117: What does it mean to pray, “your kingdom come”? We are asking God to bring more and more people to hear, believe and obey his gospel.
- 118: What is the third petition? The third petition is “your will be done on earth as it is in heaven.”
- 119: What does it mean to pray “Your will be done on earth as it is in heaven”? We are asking God to make us able and willing to serve him on earth just as he is served in heaven.