Beulah Land: Summer Around the Campfire
Over the summer we are using the book, Long Story Short, to review some Old Testament stories. This book is designed for families with children of various ages to use as a devotional. On the first day of the week, it explores a passage, then builds on this passage through the rest of the week. We hope this makes an easy bridge from church to home as you continue to engage your children in a discussion about the Bible. We will also have a memory verse each week!
Summary: This week, we continue talking about stories from the exile with Shadrach, Meshach and Adebnego. You can find this account in Daniel 3 and starting on p. 492 in Long Story Short.
If you plan on any summer bonfires, that would be a good time to talk about how hot fires are. Consider how someone could be in the fire and did not get burned or even smell like smoke!
I wonder…: what if you have ever been close to a fire? why Daniel’s friends would not bow down to the idol? which of the Ten Commandments tell us not to have other gods and not have idols? who the fourth person in the fire was?
Memory Verse: The Lord is my rock, my fortress and my deliverer; my God is my rock, in whom I take refuge, my shield[a] and the horn[b] of my salvation, my stronghold. Psalm 18:2 (hint: memorize a part a week if this seems too long)
Godly Play I & II: Catechism I
Today we move into our summer rhythm of learning Catechism questions and answers! A few things to know about Catechism:
- Children will remain in the same Godly Play classes, but instead of having a Godly Play lesson each week, they will learn a set of questions and answers.
- Older kids will learn more Q&A sets than the younger kids.
- These classes are taught by our elders in order for them to have an additional opportunity to shepherd our RMC kids, as well as to give our RMC Kids Team a summer sabbatical. RMC Kids Volunteers will help with some doorkeeping roles.
- The children will bring home a worksheet to help with further study. Please feel free to review it along with the questions at home!
- To learn more about why we teach Catechism, look HERE.
Catechism Questions This Week
Godly Play I:
- 40: Can anyone go to heaven with this sinful nature? No. Our hearts must be changed before we can believe in Jesus and go to heaven.
- 41: What is this change of heart called? The new birth, or regeneration.
- 42: Who can change a sinner’s heart? The Holy Spirit alone.
Godly Play II:
- 137: What sign is used in the Lord’s Supper? Eating bread and drinking wine to remember the suffering and death of Jesus.
- 138: What does the bread represent? Christ’s body sacrificed for our sins.
- 139: What does the wine represent? Christ’s blood shed for our sins.
- 140: Who may rightly partake of the Lord’s Supper? Those who repent of their sins, trust in Christ, live a godly life, and profess their faith before the church.