Beulah Land: Summer Around the Campfire
Over the summer we are using the book, Long Story Short, to review some Old Testament stories. This book is designed for families with children of various ages to use as a devotional. On the first day of the week, it explores a passage, then builds on this passage through the rest of the week. We hope this makes an easy bridge from church to home as you continue to engage your children in a discussion about the Bible. We will also have a memory verse each week!
Summary: This week, we begin talking about the return from exile and rebuilding of the temple in Jerusalem. You can find this account in Ezra 1-4 and starting on page 513 in Long Story Short.
I wonder…: what make King Cyrus allow God’s people to go back? why some people were sad? what Haggai meant when he said there would be a bigger and more beautiful temple?
Memory Verse: I will shake all nations, and what is desired by all nations will come, and I will fill this house with glory,’ says the Lord Almighty. Haggai 2:7
Godly Play I & II: Catechism I
Today we move into our summer rhythm of learning Catechism questions and answers! A few things to know about Catechism:
- Children will remain in the same Godly Play classes, but instead of having a Godly Play lesson each week, they will learn a set of questions and answers.
- Older kids will learn more Q&A sets than the younger kids.
- These classes are taught by our elders in order for them to have an additional opportunity to shepherd our RMC kids, as well as to give our RMC Kids Team a summer sabbatical. RMC Kids Volunteers will help with some doorkeeping roles.
- The children will bring home a worksheet to help with further study. Please feel free to review it along with the questions at home!
- To learn more about why we teach Catechism, look HERE.
Catechism Questions This Week
Godly Play I:
- 43: Can anyone be saved through the covenant of life? No. No one can be saved through the covenant of life.
- 44: Why can’t anyone be saved through the covenant of life? Because all have broken it and are condemned by it.
- 45: How did you break the covenant of life? Adam represented all people, and so I fell with Adam in his first sin.
Godly Play II:
- 141: Did Christ remain in the grave after his crucifixion? No. He rose bodily from the grave on the third day after his death.
- 142: Where is Christ now? In heaven, ruling his kingdom and interceding for us.
- 143: Will the Lord Jesus come again? Yes! He will return to judge the world on the last day.